Thursday 26 July 2012

Product Review: Lush Flying Fox Shower Gel


Another shower gel review! I know it's working out to be loads, but until I can get my camera sorted I thought it was best to work my way through these as I think most people would like proper photos and swatches for beauty products.

This Lush Flying Fox shower gel was in a gift box I got given a few years ago. I'd never tried it before, and was intrigued by the suggestion that it was "especially good at The Time of the Month, because we’ve added the top essential oils for calming PMT" as the website says. I don't want to gross anyone out, but I tend to have very disruptive periods with wild mood swings, so I'm always looking for different things that might help. I don't usually buy into wild random remedies (homeopathy? No thank you) but I also think it's good to not dose myself up on chemicals at every available opportunity. Nice smelling things can be very calming and relaxing, and I certainly find scents hugely evocative. I was hoping this would mainly cheer me up and so help me deal with mood swings, but believe me, I was plenty suspicious.

First thoughts- when I opened and sniffed this, I loved the smell, but I also thought WOW that's a lot. It is very very very strong. This is probably the strongest smelling shower gel I've ever encountered anywhere. It mainly smells of jasmine and honey, and so it's both floral and sweet. I honestly loved this shower gel, but I can't imagine it would appeal to everyone so I would definitely recommend giving this a sniff before buying.

It works fine as a shower gel- the Lush formula lathers quite a lot, and while I never found it drying it's not particularly moisturising either.

As for the PMT claims- it doesn't help with cramps (although I would have been AMAZED if it had) but oddly enough the smells did make me feel better. That might just be because I loved the fragrance, so it possibly was just the effect of spraying a favourite perfume combined with a lovely hot shower, or maybe I am just really easily swayed by suggestion.

I will say that while I like some alternative therapies and I don't like excessive chemicals, I don't believe in making wild claims about what products can do. Saying mint tea soothes tummies is fine, and perfectly true from my experience; saying homeopathic medicine can be taken instead of anti-malaria drugs when travelling in malaria zones is BS and dangerous (I'm looking at you, Neal's Yard Remedies*).

So there you go- I try to approach such claims with suspicion, and although I love natural products I am definitely careful about which products I actually believe to be helpful. Did this genuinely make me feel better when I was tired, achy, run down, miserable and generally low? Yep, it was a nice booster and the smell cheered me up. Will it have the same effect on everyone? I have no idea, and I doubt that. But if you like strong floral scents and are not afraid of how powerful this one is, I recommend it. I also found it quite sexy, so it's nice for date night ;) That might be it then- most PMT-helpful stuff is soothing lavender, whereas this one just goes straight for sexy jasmine and honey. It's a different approach, and one I like!

Apparently you can use this as a shampoo, but I never tried that so can't say whether it's good or not. I also read somewhere that the name came from an argument the two (married) founders had once, when one had PMT and shouted 'I don't give a flying f***' at the other; apparently that inspired the product, and for some reason this story really made me laugh.

* For the record I love their bath and body products and have even treated myself to a massage at the Neal's Yard store in Cambridge, but I definitely disagree with that sort of misleading advertising. Being such a NYR fan I was actually really disappointed when I heard, but I do want to be honest on this blog and in my life. Rant over :)

No comments:

Post a Comment